- Write to the School Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell them what you think about their recent vote to reconfigure Amherst’s elementary school system. It doesn’t have to be a long letter – just make your voice heard. Even if they don’t do anything, it becomes part of public record and demonstrates opposition to the plan – an important part of the local actions that the MSBA considers.
- Write to the School Building Committee and tell them your concerns about the proposed building project and ask them to request that the School Committee reconsider its vote given the degree of public opposition. See this link for email addresses:
- Spread the word about SASS: direct people to the website, encourage them to learn more about what has happened and what it will mean to them and the town. Ask them to write letters to the school and building committee and become active in opposing the plans of the administration to drastically change elementary education in Amherst.
- Consider running for School Committee and/or Town Meeting, and/or encourage others to do so. The deadline to file with the town is February 9. All you need to run for Town Meeting is 1 signature and it can be your own. Just go the Town Clerk’s office at Town Hall – it takes less than 5 minutes to do. To run for School Committee you need to gather 50 signatures – again, file at the Town Clerk’s office.
- Join us at a meeting to discuss other strategies. Contact us at AmherstSASS@gmail.com.