Article 38 is a Citizen’s Article for the May, 2016, Amherst Town Warrant, sponsored by Maria Kopicki and Laura Quilter. It requests an allocation of $40,000 to assess the needs and costs of renovation, and the total costs of the proposed reconfiguration (including the costs that would be wholly borne by the Town).
Read Article 38 here, in the PDF of the full Town Warrant, or below.
Update May 26: Town Meeting failed to pass Article 38, although it did get more than a third of the vote in an abbreviated, late-at-night discussion. See blog post for more detail.
Fact Sheets and Backgrounders Prepared Specifically for Town Meeting, Spring 2016:
- Article 38: Show us the money! How will Article 38 help Town Meeting members understand the school process?
- Summary included in Town Meeting second mailing (April 20, 2016)
- Backgrounder on Amherst’s elementary school reconfiguration / consolidation plan and concerns – Largely condensed from this website’s home page
Additional Materials Posted at Town Meeting Related to School Reconfiguration / Consolidation and/or Article 38:
- “Article 38: Independent Review of Elementary School Renovation Option and Project Costs” – An overview of Article 38 and the reasons for it. Why do we need an independent assessment of renovation and project costs for our elementary schools?
- “A Mega School with Mega Problems” (version posted; updated version) – An overview of problems with the reconfiguration option.
- “Points Forgotten or Addressed Too Narrowly in the Deliberation over the Future of Amherst’s Elementary Schools” (by Eve Vogel, Jan 2016)
- “School Survey: Summary Sent to MSBA” (PDF; HTML) – Discusses the January 2016 Survey.
- “Comments from Parents”(PDF, HTML) – Parent comments from the January survey.
- “Comments from Teachers and Staff” (PDF, HTML) – Staff comments from the January survey.
Forums and Discussions related to Article 38
- Select Board Hearing on Article 38 (April 19, 2016) (start at 3:04:00) – Maria Kopicki presentation. Select Board decides to hear it again on May 11.
- Select Board discusses it on May 2 & decides not to recommend (Amherst Media, 0:38 – 0:48)
- Select Board vote: “Not to recommend” 5
- League of Women Voters “Warrant Review” (April 17, 2016) – Laura Quilter
- Text of Statement (April 17, 2016)
- Video from Amherst Media – https://archive.org/details/AmherstTMCCLWVWarrantReview04-12-16 — Start at 1:30:00 to 1:33:00 .
- Finance Committee Presentation (March 31, 2016) – Maria Kopicki
- Text of Statement to Finance Committee (March 31, 2016)
- Video from Amherst Media – https://amherstmedia.org/content/finance-committee-03-31-16 — ~1:05 to 2:05
- Follow-Up Letter to Finance Committee, by Maria Kopicki (April 11, 2016)
- Video from Amherst Media – https://amherstmedia.org/content/finance-committee-04-14-16 — ~0:18 to 1:36
- FINANCE COMMITTEE VOTE: “Not to recommend” 4, “recommend” 2, “abstain” 1.
- The School Building Committee and School Committee jointly submitted a packet of information, unfortunately including a number of factual errors. * Will upload when possible.
- An additional anonymous “response” document was distributed on May 25. * Will upload when possible.
- Janet McGowan : Yes on 38 (circulated May 25).
- Town Meeting, May 25, 2016 session.
- Maria Kopicki, Introductory Statement for Town Meeting.
- Against Article 38 : Rick Hood, Slide on cost estimates presented to School Committee
- For Article 38 : Statement by Marla Jamate
- Video of Town Meeting session, at https://amherstmedia.org/content/amherst-town-meeting-05-25-16 (Article 38 discussion started at approximately 9:40, so 2 hours & 40 minutes into the video)